Who We Are / MAC Vision
Founded in 1999 by an act of the Mattoon City Council, the Mattoon Arts
Council supports, develops, facilitates and promotes high-quality, affordable
arts programs and activities for people of all ages. The MAC operates out of its office in the Mattoon Depot and presents programming in the Depot's Lone Elm Room.
The Mattoon Arts Council envisions a vibrant, creative community where arts activities are frequent and evident, where members of the community have opportunities to experience and engage in the arts directly and where arts activities are appreciated as an asset for the community and economic development.
For current information check us out at Facebook! Or visit the City of Mattoon's website at the link at the bottom of this page.
As a community organization, we believe:
- our work must be done in collaboration with others to make the most of our assets as a small community;
- that art is defined broadly as to include the widest possible interpretation of the language, visual and performing arts;
- that the arts intrinsically enhance a community's quality of life;
- in supporting events that offer the opportunities to educate; and,
- engagement in artistic activities stimulates community creativity and attracts people to a community in ways that have long-term social and economic benefits.
The Mattoon Arts Council:
The following members serve as appointees of the Mattoon City Council:
Christina Browning, chairwoman
Joyce Jackson, vice-chairman
Hans Warner, secretary
Julia Colombo, treasurer
Ex Officio Members
Angelia Burgett, Arts and Tourism Director
Julia Degler Whitmore, Arts Coordinator
Rick Hall, Commissioner
Kyle Gill, City Administrator
The Mattoon Arts Council meets at 6 p.m. on the first Wednesday of each month at the tourism and arts office in the Mattoon Depot.
There are many ways to get involved in the work of promoting the Arts in Mattoon. You can serve on a MAC committee or coordinate an event. Contact us for information about how you can get involved.
Have an idea for an arts-related program? Let us know about it!
The Mattoon Arts Council loves to work with other community groups and artists to present programs! If you have an idea for an arts-related event and would like to seek sponsorship help from MAC, please fill out the form available here. You also may call Angelia Burgett, tourism/arts director, at 258-6471 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.